Monday, January 14, 2008

Mixtape Monday:
Java Rock

If you've lived in Lawrence for more than just a few months, or have ever seen a show at Liberty Hall or the Bottleneck in the dead of winter, chances are you've stopped over at Java Break for a cup of Joe to keep you warm and caffeinated. What you may not know is that in the days before iPod's were readily available (and discounted for KU students), the Java Break staff would make their own customized playlists (on, like, Winamp or some shit!). Despite the fact that most of the playlists were rarely altered, thus making repeated visits (and there were plenty before I could drink legally) incredibly repetitive, I honestly owe the Java Break staff as much credit for turning me on to some of my favorite artists as anything else. So, in honor of the great music, and because its definitely latte weather, here's a mixtape that I hope will warm you up and make the old Java Break staff proud.







Before I go, I should not that one track is mislabeled. The artist performing the eighth song is actually Hayden, and the song title is "Bad as They Seem." Feel free to share any of your coffee house favorites, or let me know if I forgot anything (I know that there are at least a couple of you reading that have been to the 'ol Java Break once or twice), in the comments section.

3 comments:

Mandy♥ said...

I don't have any suggestions of songs to add right now but this is a great idea! Can't wait to listen and dream of Banana Split coffee...yum!

Femme Fatale said...

Is that an extended version of "Life in a Glass House"? Way cool.

This playlist fits the coffeehouse genre quite well, as it's provided good background music as I've worked. I also think I could hold idle and/or impassioned conversation over this music, or eat a bagel.

As far as bands that fit the coffeehouse mold, I would say Belle & Sebastian would probably be on mine ("For the Price of a Cup of Tea" would be just the cutest.)

I'd probably also put on some Badly Drawn Boy and Sea and Cake. Maybe some Iron & Wine. Yes, Iron & Wine!

SonicRyan said...

Belle, Badly Drawn Boy, Iron & Wine would all fit perfectly. One song that I forgot about was "Spec Bebop" by Yo La Tengo. Oddly enough, that song was a standard on their playlists just before everyone started bringing their own CD's/iPods.