Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Live Review:
The Besnard Lakes,
Peter Bjorn & John



















For some reason I've had a bad attitude about Peter Bjorn and John lately. First there was that post I wrote titled, "Is that PB&J Getting a Little Stale?" Then I shafted Writer's Block from my Best of 2006 list. Then I started telling everyone that I might not be going to the Monday show if Besnard Lakes weren't opening. Well, the Besnard Lakes DID open, and I DID go. When PB&J opened with "Let's Call It Off," my favorite track off Writer's Block, I thought, this isn't so bad. I can stick this out. Imagine my surprise when, minutes later, everyone else in my group wanted to leave.

It's been a long time since I've left a show before its conclusion. Frankly I can't even think of the last time I've failed to stay for an encore, as I typically spurn those who do (or come into shows with a negative attitude). So why was PB&J such a turnoff?

I puzzled over this on the way home, and hubby Backdrifter said it made sense. Why should three guys preening onstage impress us after the five-piece Besnard Lakes wowed us? The final straw was when PB&J played a version of "Amsterdam" that made the Netherlands sound about as interesting as my hometown of Wichita, Kansas. You know that part when they say, "So slow, so slow"? Exactly my sentiments. The band sounded like my tape recorder in .25 playback mode.

So that's the bad news. The good news? The Besnard Lakes more than made up for my miserable time. After their set the band said PB&J was "helping them out" by taking them on tour and boosting their visibility. Oh, Besnard Lakes, you underestimate yourselves.

Check out our video of "Because Tonight," my favorite track on the album -- perhaps my favorite song of the year. We here at Range Life are determined to make The Besnard Lakes a dark horse no more.



The Besnard Lakes:
























Peter Bjorn and John (Sorry for the scathing review, guys):




















2 comments:

SonicRyan said...

That video did turn out pretty well. Good thing their fans are mellow, no party people dancing if you know what I mean.

Its too bad PB&J were so boring, I really do like their latest album. I honestly think they just lost me when they slowed down my favorite song of theirs so much that I could think of nothing more than taking up the Besnard Lakes guy on having a beer with him.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.