Thursday, January 17, 2008

Have You Heard?
White Flight

I've become increasingly infatuated with a Lawrence musician named Justin Roefols, who records under the name White Flight. As "white flight" is a term to describe white Americans fleeing racially diverse areas for the sequestered suburbs, I find this a particularly apt name for a Kansas musician.

Years ago when local band The Anniversary parted ways, Roefols left for South America to do some soul searching. After his return, he ended up expanding his former band's sound considerably, as well as his facial hair. Whoa man, check out that dude's beard. Those sun-drenched locks...

White Flight - "Pastora Divine"




More on White Flight after the jump.

White Flight's self-titled debut is lo-fi psychedelia that sounds at times like Beck, The Unicorns, Devendra Banhart, and, many many more. A second White Flight album is allegedly due out this summer, according to local label Range Life Records (NOT affiliated with this blog. I guess great minds, and Pavement fans, think alike.)

Despite a suspicious lack of White Flight press, Fader recently did an intriguing piece on Roefols (from which we hath nabbed this photo). Also, check out White Flight's Myspace for a listen to more tracks off 2006's White Flight, including some pretty kickass remixes of "Deathhands" and "The Condition."

4 comments:

The Moon said...

Some of his stuff sounds a little like M ward?

Femme Fatale said...

I can see that.

There's quite a range... which makes it hard to describe... but I guess that's a good thing.

I need to get some more M. Ward. I only have his most recent album, but I've heard his older ones are good, too.

SonicRyan said...

Wow, I can definitely hear the three artists/bands you mentioned Nicole. This is good stuff.

Girlfriend said...

I believe I just found some great new driving music. Thanks Nicole!