Thursday, February 14, 2008

V Day for the One You Loathe

Seriously, if I see one more jewelry commercial advertising those "Journey of Love" necklaces set to a Vanessa Carlton soundtrack, I am gonna hurl. So Valentine's Day means little to me these days. Does that mean I'm less romantic, or more realistic? All I can think about is one of the first lines in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: "Valentine's Day. A holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap."

Speaking of realistic, here's a nice little gift for those of you who can't find that perfect message in the greeting card aisle. It's a plush doggie with a heart-shaped hole in its chest: a Heartless Bitch. Ha! You can buy one here. Of course, you could just keep the $7.95 and drown your angst with some cheap wine. Or, as I plan on doing tonight, with a Chipotle burrito. Now THAT'S romance.

In honor of this manufactured holiday, I thought I'd assemble an appropriately insensate soundtrack. My playlist might not leave you as soulless as that Vanessa Carlton song, but it might come close.

I didn't put it on here, but Radiohead's "All I Need" would make a beautiful addition to this list. "I'm an animal trapped in your hot car": tell me that isn't the sweetest line you've ever heard.



No comments: