Friday, February 8, 2008

First Listen Friday:
Monade, Headlights, Why?

Three more songs to make your countdown to the weekend a little more manageable.


Monade - "Regarde"
What started as a bedroom recording project for Stereolab's Laetitia Sadier has turned into full time band. Fans of Stereolab can rejoice, as Cosmic is probably the closest thing to another great Stereolab album as we're ever going to get. Look for Monade's latest album, Cosmic, in stores on February 19.

Headlights - "Cherry Tulips"
Headlights are a pretty three piece from Champaign, Illinois, but their instinctive pop sensibilities make it seem like they could just as easily have come from Scotland
or Canada. "Cherry Tulips" is a great example, as you can hear them borrowing a little bit from both Arcade Fire and Camera Obscura. The song is bouncy, catchy, and eventually, irresistible. Their upcoming album, Some Racing, Some Stopping, is available this coming Tuesday. Headlights are also touring with Evangelicals, and have several Midwestern stops lined up, so be sure to check them out if they're in a city near you.

Why? - "Good Friday"
Today is going to be a good Friday, I can already tell. The sun is shining, my cat is sitting quietly on my lap, and this new Why? track is kicking my ass. I first heard Why? on KJHK some years ago, thought it was pretty cool, then promptly forgot about them. Then I saw them open for Yo La Tengo in October of 2006. Their sound was incredibly unique, blending off kilter rhythms, half spoken rhyming, and a rag-tag, lo-fi frame of mind. I was impressed, and quickly became a fan. Why?'s new album Alopecia is already building hype on message boards, and with good reason. It sounds like Why? is rapping more and singing less, which probably works best as his singing voice was always the most questionable aspect of Why?'s sound. I can't give out "Good Friday" as an mp3, but it is streaming below, and you'd be crazy not to give it a chance. Yes, it is pretty much a hip-hop tune, but it has crossover appeal. Something tells me Why? is going to have a big year.



Before I go, I'd like to get your opinion on something. As you have probably noticed, I've switched from using Project Playlist to Imeem. Lately, Project Playlist has been giving me a headache, with songs crashing, songs not being recognized after I upload them, and the player just not being recognized from time to time. I've been dicking around with Imeem, and so far I haven't had any problems, but I'm curious to know what you think. Does it work better? Worse? Is it pretty much the same? Let us know what you think about the player, the songs, anything, in the comments section. Happy weekend!



5 comments:

Mandy♥ said...

I like the Why? song but I'm not sure if I could listen to it often. At first I thought this sort of reminds me of early Cake. But then I realized it really doesn't. I don't know what it reminds me of but I like the vulgarity.

Femme Fatale said...

It kinda gives me a Beck vibe, too. I dig the Monade. But then that was to be expected. Long live Stereolab!

SonicRyan said...

Hey gang, not sure why the Headlights song was only a 30 sec clip, perhaps I wasn't paying attention when I added it to the player, but at any rate, I fixed it and it should (hopefully) be the full song now. Give it a listen! Its good.

The Moon said...

The Headlights track is still 30sec =(

...and the Why? track sounds like a less obviously funny Bloodhound Gang with better backing music

SonicRyan said...

Really? I'm playing it now and its the full version. If anyone else is having problems, you can still download it above (right click, save as), and if you have Quick Time you can stream it by simply left clicking.