Monday, February 25, 2008

Album Reviews:
Los Campesinos!, Monade

On the surface, Los Campesinos! and Monade have little, if anything, in common, but both bands have recently released albums that I'm torn between liking and loving. Maybe listening to the album one more time while writing a quick review will settle things.



Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster...

(Arts & Crafts, 2008)

Initial Grade: 83.2%

[mp3]"Don't Tell Me to Do the Math(s)"



Why I'm Torn
About a week ago, I was at work and browsing through my iPod for something upbeat to listen to so that I might be entertained while I performed the repetitive task of slicing meats over and over (and over and over...). It was then that I came across Hold On Now, Youngster..., and it hit me that I had completely forgot all about this album's impending release. Knowing that it might be a good idea to check it out for the sake of the blog, not to mention that last year's Sticking Fingers Into Sockets EP was an enjoyable, upbeat listen, I gave it a spin. The above score reflects my first impression, as not only did I find the songs enjoyable, but really took notice of the production. It felt like I was listening to a collaboration between The Anniversary and Broken Social Scene (Dave Newfeld handled the production duties, which should explain that.), and most of all, it succeeded in keeping me interested at work.

However, subsequent listens leads me to believe that Youngster... might never again ascend higher than "good" status, which I think can be directly linked to the songs all sounding very much alike. Even during my initial listen I could tell that there was little variation on the record, but at the time it did not bother me. Well, that was then, I suppose. Don't get me wrong, the songs are all good, some are great, but its hard to stay focused and keep my attention when each song sounds so much alike.

Final Verdict: 74.4%
Hold On Now, Youngster... is far from a bad record, and there are a few songs, specifically "My Year In Lists" and "Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks," that keep calling me back, begging me to reconsider, but I can't fool myself into thinking Youngster... is an (almost) great album any longer either. Thought the music is upbeat, its at times a bit boring due to the same-samey nature of the songs. However, in the right situations - at a party, at work - this album could very well prove more useful and enjoyable.

1 comment:

Hackworth Artifex said...

I've felt that way about a lot of albums. I'm sure it's funny to watch me (or anyone) go from, "Awesome!" to "It's very good!" to "It's good." heh