Friday, February 29, 2008

First Listen Friday:
The Boy Least Likely To, Peter Morén,
El Perro Del Mar


It's Friday, which means I'm going to pull myself out from under this slew of '90s albums I've been discovering lately and bring you something new.

This week's list reeks of Femme Fatale favorites.

Enjoy.


(Note: Because all of these songs are so new, I'm only able to stream one of them for you here. For the others I've provided MySpace links, which shouldn't give you any trouble.)


El Perro del Mar - "Glory to the World"
El Perro del Mar's eponymous debut LP was a delightful little exercise in self-loathing. Its charm came from its glumness, peppered by phrases like "This loneliness ain't pretty no more," or "All the feelings you got from me is like for a dog," or the hauntingly simple "I don't understand pppeeeoopppllleee."

Which is why I was so surprised when I heard this song from EPDM's upcoming release, From the Valley to the Stars. Sarah's not exactly bouncing off the walls in this one, but it feels like it.




The Boy Least Likely To - "TBLLT is a Machine"
Still not happy enough for you? Check out this track from the upcoming Boy Least Likely To album (slated for sometime this summer).

Remember those adorable animals from their debut album cover? On this song they've dropped the twee-as-fuck act to try out for the Animal Collective. That's taking it a little far, but if this song is a sign of things to come from the band, sign me up.

Hear it Here.


Peter Morén - "El Petit Coeur" and "I Don't Gaze at the Sky"

Ever wonder what might happen if you split up Peter Bjorn and John (other than getting Peter, Bjorn, and John)? Well wonder no more. One-third of the Swedish pop duo will release his first solo album The Last Tycoon April 8.

I adore the PB&J poppiness and hate to see it go. Still, it's intriguing to consider the new direction Peter is exploring on what appears to be largely a folk album.

Hear it Here.


That's all for this week. Enjoy your weekend, everyone. Now I gotta get back to this Mercury Rev.

No comments: