Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Nostalgic Music Video of the Day: Smashing Pumpkins - "Disarm"

Earlier today I was cleaning out my inbox when I noticed an e-mail from CMJ. Now, I get about 2 e-mails a day from the esteemed music mag, but this one caught my eye because it mentioned the Smashing Pumpkins and the upcoming release of their new album.

It might be worth noting that, back in my more formative years I was a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan. I remember reading a phrase describing Pumpkins fans as the kind of kids that would drink whatever Kool-Aid Billy gave them, and I certainly fit the description. Now that I'm older I have come to realize that maybe, just maybe, I was a bit too fanatical about the band, and have since toned it down. It also didn't hurt that I woke up one day realizing that the band I used to love was not flawless like I had previously thought for so many years. Songs like "Tales of a Scorched Earth" no longer resonate with this 24 year old the same way they once did the with 14 year old. Still, no matter what I think of their catalog (early stuff great, later stuff hit and miss), their drama (glad you're alive Jimmy, but who's playing bass?), and their singer (Billy the Egomaniac), I still to this day take notice when I see or hear the band's name.

The article was a short one, it just told of the release date of the new album, something I had already known for a while, but it got the old nostalgic juices flowing. I can't tell if I miss the old Pumpkins, or if I miss the old SonicRyan that listened to Smashing Pumpkins (which, coincidentally, is actually the young Ryan). Either way, here's a classic video from one of my old favorite bands.

No comments: