Thursday, April 5, 2007

Heads Up!




Keeping You Posted About Things I Like Since April 5th, 2007


KJHK's Farmer's Ball kicks off tonight at the Jackpot in Lawrence with Coat Party, Ample Branches, Suzanna Johannes, and KTP. It continues tomorrow with Young Tree, The Kinetiks, Attack on Uranus, and Wood Roses. The finalists advance to play the Bottleneck on Sunday. My money's on either Coat Party or The Kinetiks, but I could see Wood Roses sneaking in there as well. Of course, never underestimate a punk band and their ability to self promote. If KTP can get all of their friends to come out and make some noise, they could walk away with the prize too.

Also on Friday you have your choice of seeing the beautiful songstress Neko Case at the Bottleneck or getting gritty with The Ponys and Deerhunter at the Record Bar.

On Tuesday, Bright Eyes releases his latest album Cassadaga. From what I've heard, the kid is all grown up, which is funny because he's 3 years older than I am, so he's not really a kid. Also, the highly anticipated album from Blonde Redhead, titled 23, finally hits stores too. If you're anything like me, you couldn't wait to hear it and have already been grooving on it for a month. Its fantastic, I must say. I will (hopefully) have a review of it in time for the album's release.

The next day, Yo La Tengo make their first stop in Lawrence since September of '03 in what will surely be an amazing show. I've seen them 3 times now and they have yet to disappoint. The same night my friend Justin's band, Well, Gentlemen, plays the Jackpot opening for Antelope.

On Thursday, a week from today, go see Boo and Boo Too play the Replay Lounge with Wichita's Paper Airplanes. Don't ask questions, just do it!

Finally, on Saturday, the Faint play an afternoon show on the KU Lied Center's Lawn for the annual, then canceled, and now annual again Day On the Hill. Those of you who weren't dancing to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings at last year's show can make up for it by losing your shit, I'm sorry, shirts at this year's show.

No comments: