Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Album Review: Feist - The Reminder
















**There is no guarantee that you will like or agree with what is said in the following review. Read at your own discretion and after drinking at least two alcoholic beverages.**

October 31st 2005, trying desperately to regain warmth, I stood in anticipation of a band I had not yet heard, Broken Social Scene. My new love interest had enjoyed what he had heard of their music and I went along for the ride. We were both in for a surprise that fateful Halloween as the opening act took its place on the stage. Dorothy, with Toto in tow, the Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion walked gracefully onto the stage and picked up their instruments. When Ms. Dorothy opened her mouth I forgot about the chill in the air and melted in awe of Feist’s most beautiful instrument, her voice. I’ll never forget that first encounter and while there is no need for a reminder, I’ll take one when its coming from Leslie Feist. Her latest album, The Reminder, is not only a reminder of Feist’s love woes and foes but also a reminder of her cosmic talent. Now I should remind all of you that this is a highly biased entry. I not only love, I covet. I know it may be considered a sin, but come on, who wouldn’t want to have a voice like Feist? Now that I’ve been washed clean of my sins its time for the album review.

Not unlike her previous album, The Reminder starts with a soft melody that leaves me wanting more. “So Sorry” with its simple and honest lyrics falls short and instead of making me melt it succeeds in only slightly defrosting my surface. Fortuately, Feist manages to thoroughly de-thaw with the second track “I Feel It All.” Upbeat, car-friendly and sing-a-long ready “I Feel It All” makes me forget about the laggard introduction and leaves me singing, “I love you more. I don’t know what I knew before…” I often “spoon” with the next track “My Moon My Man.” (Yes, that is a reference to the track being reminiscent of many a Spoon song.) Tracks four and five aim at reflection and recognition with a jaunt through “The Park” and an immersion in “The Water.” One of the album’s highlights “Sea Lion Woman” is an all around joy. High energy and packed with fanciful lyrics “Sea Lion Woman” makes me want to get up from the couch and shake my groove thang! Yea! Yea!

Versatile is a word that comes to mind when describing Feist’s third album. The second half of the album mimics the first with its many changes in tempo and tone. Note worthy songs include, “Past in Present,” “One Two Three Four” and “Honey Honey.” Mixing past with present, Donny and Marie Osmond say it best when describing “Past in Present” as “a little bit country and a little bit rock n’ roll.” “One Two Three Four,” is catchy and charismatic, perfect for the radio and my ears. The second to last song of the album, “Honey Honey,” is hypnotic with its rhythmic simulation of bees trudging along hard at work.

The Reminder with its ever-changing faces is an album that is adaptable to many situations. I find myself listening to it in the shower, during naps, in the car…the list could go on indefinitely. In short, Feist is the warbling wonder of the world! I sometimes wonder why I’m still living in the United States when there is less pollution, less crime, and a musical goddess like Feist roaming around in Canada. Hmmm…. I’ll leave you on that note and with the challenge (aka wonderous endeavor) of giving Feist’s The Reminder a thorough appraisal.

--Girlfriend
8/21/2007

2 comments:

Femme Fatale said...

I am obsessed with "The Water" -- gives me chills.

Femme Fatale said...

P.S. Fabulous debut review.