Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Random Musings

1). The people in Independence, MO are fucks. If your car battery dies in Indepence, MO, people will do their best to ignore you, claim they don't have cables (really, no one has cables? Did you sell them for meth?) or just flat out tell you to your face that they don't want to help you. The fucker that did that even worked in a garage somewhere, he was still in uniform, so I figured he'd definitely be the one to lend a hand. Nope. "I'm not going to jump your car," he said. Fuck you buddy. Fuck. You.

2). Hearing The Decemberists' "Perfect Crime #2" on a Muzak station isn't terribly shocking, I've heard it before in a Starbucks in fact, but this time it was at one of those cheap all-you-can-eat pizza buffets where quality, cleanliness, and service take a backseat thanks in no small part to a limited budget. It was even stranger this time because it was obviously on a pop Muzak station, and the following songs were Paula Abdul, old Nelly Furtado, and, well, you get the idea. It was strange for a myriad of reasons, but what confuses me the most is who thought the pop station would be the best fit for that song? Muzak, Columbia Records, the band? Obviously, someone did not do their homework beforehand.

3). Conner's last show in Lawrence was a good one. Their shows are often hit or miss, but they brought their A-game for last Saturday's farewell. The band played about an equal number of White Cube and Hello Graphic Missile songs to a rowdy and enthusiastic crowd of friends, family, loved ones, and my buddy Adam, who was like their BFF (biggest fan forever) even before they had a record. My neck still hurts, my ears are still ringing, so obviously it must have been a good show. I have to admit I didn't care too much about their demise going in, but now I think I'm gonna miss them.

4). The new Spoon album is growing on me.

5). Pitchfork Music Fest is nearing.

No comments: