Monday, June 11, 2007

Catching Up

Just because we took a break from the blog for a while doesn't mean we stopped listening to new music. Here are some recent releases that would have made Recommended Album of the Week status had we updated more frequently. Though none of them have full, proper reviews written for them (yet) I thought we should still share our thoughts with you. (Edit: These are all my (Ryan's) opinions. Nicole's may vary.)



Twilight Sad

Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters

Scottish rockers sound a bit like My Bloody Valentine to me and Interpol to Nicole, and fucking awesome to both of us.









Andrew Bird

Armchair Apocrypha

The Bird-man's rockin' (for him, at least) new album isn't his best, but it still sounds good and has been getting a lot of play recently despite its release many months ago.






The National

Boxer

Clap Your Hands may have stolen the attention from them a few years back when the two bands toured together, but the National have the last laugh in Boxer, which is a near flawless album. If we were doing year end lists now, this would be my personal #1.





Battles

Mirrored

I don't know how to describe this album, except that it's like an aural acid trip. Really, REALLY looking forward to their Record Bar show.







Feist

The Reminder

Ms. Feist just might have the sexiest voice in rock music right now, 'nuff said. Actually, there is that whole bit about The Reminder being one of the year's best albums too. Oh, and did I mention that voice?



Older Favorites


Flaming Lips

Zaireeka

One part genius mixed with the idea that listening to music should be an experience as well as an indulgence, and perhaps some illegal substances and the mad scientist production skills of Dave Fridmann thrown in as well, form one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard, even if I've only heard it 5 times in my life.




Spoon

Gimme Fiction

I can listen to Spoon just about any time, and rather than burn myself out on an album that's not technically released yet, I've been digging their 2005 release pretty heavily lately.

No comments: