Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Captain's Blog

On Monday, yours truely was supposed to hit up the Bloc Party show and hand out Noisettes stickers for Filter Magazine, but the package never came. Since I'm not a big fan of any of the bands on the bill, I decided on $6 pitchers at a nearby restaurant and a night out with the boys in Boo and Boo Too. I watched their set at the Record Bar (seeing them live is definitely the way to go), caught up with Oscar the Grouch and Drew Gibson, both of whom are also in Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk, and left for a party where I ran into Rich Boy and fellow sandwich maker Kyle, er...Carl Redcorn. They have a show at McCoy's on Saturday with the Architects, which should be a blast if you like your rock 'n roll loud 'n snotty.

Tuesday was a pretty tame day. No concerts, barely any music listening. I did catch Feist on Conan, which I was hoping to post on here, but as of this writing I have not seen it on YouTube. She played "1 2 3 4" with about 12 backup singers, 4 of which were Grizzly Bear, her current tour mates.

Today was nice because I found out that Do Make Say Think are coming (even if it is several months off), Blonde Redhead will be playing Columbia, read a great review for Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation Deluxe Edition on Pitchfork, and also read that Radiohead is "nearly there" on their latest album.

On a different note, I learned recently that Conner, one of the better Lawrence bands around, was calling it a day at the end of June after their seemingly annual show with Austin's AM Syndicate. The band's MySpace bulletin gave no indication as to why the split was taking place. I was already super stoked about this show after hearing the new AM Syndicate songs on their MySpace page (a far cry from the ear splitting, yet melodic sound of two years ago), but knowing now this is Conner's last show makes it even more special. See you there?

No comments: